Following the COVID-19 outbreak, the global economy is continually being frustrated. Many people have been laid off or furloughed from their jobs and forced to the ongoing lockdown. Communities everywhere especially from developing countries are feeling the weight due to this pandemic.
What is COVID-19 Solidarity Response Fund?
In the effort to prevent, detect and respond to the COVID-19 pandemic, governments, organizations (industries and sectors) and individuals from all over the world are coming together to help. The COVID-19 Solidarity Response Fund was launched two days after COVID-19 was officially declared a pandemic.
With the spread of the virus vividly increasing, funding needs are likely to increase too. The World Health Organization (WHO) is leading and coordinating in supporting affected countries. Once funds are donated, it is received by the UN Foundation and Swiss Philanthropy Foundation and then the WHO together with its partners distribute to countries In need.
How is the COVID-19 Solidarity Response Fund Used?
Donations received are greatly used in funding the activities of the Strategic Preparedness and Response Plan, which include among others:
- Buying and shipping of personal protective equipment like gloves and masks for medics.
- Providing guidance to the general public on measures to prevent and protect themselves and other people.
- Offer support to researches and developments on tracking and understanding the spread of the virus.
- Help accelerate the process of developing vaccines, tests and treatment.
- Ensuring patients get quality health care and setting up intensive care units.
How to donate to the COVID-19 Solidarity Response Fund
Anyone can donate at this platform. You can donate by either:
- Donating directly online using a credit card through online donation website.
- Through Facebook fundraiser platform that go directly to the response fund.
- Through Google fundraiser platform that go directly to the response fund.
- Through checks or wire to the United Nations Foundations or the Swiss Philanthropy
- Through other partners like Amazon, Snapchat, Tiltify and YouTube donate button to videos.
Apart from inhaling contaminated droplets, you can get coronavirus by touching contaminated surfaces and then touch your face. Hand sanitizers are effective in minimizing the number and type of microbes. In the absence of running water, use hand sanitizer to disinfect your hands. Make a donation and support the affected. As much as we are making efforts to fund the fight against the COVI9-19 pandemic, personal safety is a priority. To flatten the curve we need to work together because we are in this together.